How about a simple, all-in-one meal? These peppers are stuffed with jasmine rice and ground turkey, but you could really use any rice (brown, basmati...) or meat (ground beef or lamb) you have. If you'd like a little kick, add a few drops of Tabasco sauce in the rice-meat mixture. And for a fun, colorful presentation, use a combination of green, red, orange and yellow bell peppers. Serve with mixed greens and a loaf of fresh bread. Yummy!
Makes 4 servings (based on a Cooking Light recipe)
- 4 or 5 large bell peppers = 4 ou 5 poivrons
- 1 tablespoon olive oil = 1 cuillère à soupe d'huile d'olive
- 1/2 cup chopped onion = 1 oignon, émincé
- 2 garlic cloves, minced = 2 gousses d'ail, émincées
- 1/2 cup uncooked jasmine rice = 100 g de riz au jasmin (non-cuit)
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth = 235 ml de bouillon de poule ou de légumes
- 1 ½ to 2 cups tomato sauce, divided = 350 à 450 ml de coulis de tomate
- 1/2 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese, divided = 50 g de parmesan frais râpé
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper = sel et poivre
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten = 1 oeuf, battu
- 1 pound ground turkey breast = 450 g de dinde hachée
Preheat oven to 400F/200C.
Cut bell peppers in half lengthwise, discard seeds and membranes. Place on a foil-lined baking pan or sheet, cut sides up.
Heat a large skillet, coated with olive oil, over medium heat. Add onion and garlic to pan, sauté until onion is lightly browned (about 5 minutes). Add rice, and cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add broth and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
Combine rice mixture + 1 cup (= 235 ml) tomato sauce + 1/4 cup (= 25 g) cheese + salt & pepper + egg + turkey in a large bowl, stir until blended. Spoon about 1/2 cup meat mixture into each pepper half and top with 1 or 2 tablespoons of tomato sauce. Cover and bake at 400° for 45 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup (25 g) cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 5 more minutes. Serve two halves per person. Enjoy!