It's getting a bit chillier. Fall is here. The time has come. The time for soup that is!
I made my first batch of pumpkin soup of the season last week and boy was it good.
This cheesy broccoli soup is equally delicious. You could top it with homemade croutons but it had been a long week and I was tired so I decided to just smash a few crackers instead. The result was instant comfort!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil = 1 cuillère à soupe d'huile d'olive
- 2 cloves garlic, minced = 2 gousses d'ail, émincées
- 1 small onion, chopped = 1 petit oignon, coupé en morceaux
- 1 medium russet potato, diced = 1 pomme de terre, coupée en petits dés
- Salt and pepper = sel et poivre
- 1 large bunch broccoli (about 1 ¼ lb), cut into florets = 1 grosse tête de broccoli (environ 550-600 g), coupée en petits bouquets
- 3 cups water = 700 ml d'eau
- 1 cup milk = 235 ml de lait
- 6 ounces sharp Cheddar, coarsely grated (about 1 ½ cup) = 170 g de cheddar, râpé
- A few Ritz crackers, smashed (optional) = quelques crackers salés (style Ritz ou TUC), écrasés en miettes (facultatif)
Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the garlic, onion, potato, season with salt and pepper and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until just tender, about 6-7 minutes.
Add the broccoli florets and water and bring to a boil. Simmer covered for a few minutes, until broccoli is tender. Remove from heat and, using a handheld immersion blender, purée the vegetable mixture until smooth. Return to the heat, add the milk and simmer until heated through, about 2-3 minutes. Add the cheese and stir until completely melted. Check seasonings and add more salt/pepper if needed. Ladle into 4 bowls and top with smashed crackers. Serve immediately. Enjoy!