Vegetarian, yet hearty and satisfying, this Italian-inspired soup comes together quickly on a weeknight. Let everyone stir the pesto into their individual bowl and watch it melt and flavor the soup as if by magic.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil = 1 cuillère à soupe d'huile d'olive
- 1 small onion, chopped = 1 petit oignon, émincé
- Salt and pepper = sel et poivre
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped = 1 gousse d'ail, finement émincée
- 5 to 6 cups vegetable broth = 1.2 à 1.4 l de bouillon de légumes
- Pinch of dried herbs (thyme & oregano) = une pincée d'herbes séchées (thym & origan)
- 1 cup mini-wheels pasta (or other small pasta) = 75 g de petites pâtes
- 1 can (15 oz) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed = 1 boite ou 1 bocal de 440 g de cannellini (haricots blancs italiens), égouttés et rinsés
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes = 1 boite de 410 g de tomates concassées
- 6 teaspoons pesto = 6 cuillères à café de pesto
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onion and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the broth, herbs and pasta and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the pasta is tender, about 8-10 minutes. Stir in the beans and the tomatoes and their juice, and cook until heated through, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat. Ladle into serving bowls and top each with a teaspoon of pesto. Serve immediately. Enjoy!