Yesterday, after a week-end filled with sugar, I wanted to eat something healthy. But it was cold and rainy so I also felt like something warm and comforting. This stew hit the spot.
The traditional ratatouille veggies and herbs remind me of my summers in the south of France and make me happy. The lentils, which are a great source of protein and fiber, keep me full for hours.
This is truly a perfect vegetarian/vegan main dish. Total comfort food with no guilt attached!
Makes 4 servings (based on a recipe from Slim & Scrumptious by Joy Bauer)
- 1 small eggplant, cubed = 1 aubergine, coupée en petits dés
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces = 1 poivron rouge, coupé en morceaux
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces = 1 poivron jaune, coupé en morceaux
- 2 zucchinis, cubed = 2 courgettes, coupées en petits dés
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano = 2 cuillères à café d'origan
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme = 2 cuillères à café de thym
- 1 medium onion, diced = 1 oignon, émincé
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced = 2 carottes, épluchées et coupées en rondelles
- 2 celery ribs, diced = 2 branches de céleri, coupées en morceaux
- 3 cloves garlic, minced = 3 gousses d'ail
- 1/4 cup tomato paste = 4 cuillères à soupe de concentré de tomates
- 1 cup lentils, rinsed = 200 g de lentilles, rincées
- 4 cups vegetable broth = 1 l de bouillon de légumes
- 1 cup water = 235 ml d'eau
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt = ½ cuillère à café de sel
- Juice of ½ lemon = jus d'un demi citron
- Olive oil = huile d'olive
Preheat oven to 400F/200C.
Spread the eggplant, bell peppers and zucchini on one or two large baking sheets. Spray the vegetables with olive oil, and sprinkle with oregano and thyme evenly. Roast the vegetables for 30 to 40 minutes.
While the vegetables are roasting, coat a large pot with olive oil, and heat it over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrots, celery and garlic. Sauté for 5 to 7 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes. Add the lentils, vegetable broth, water and salt. Bring to a boil. Then reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
Add the roasted vegetables to the pot and stir thoroughly to combine. Simmer, covered, for another 10 minutes or until the lentils are tender. Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the lemon juice. Enjoy!