My "little” guy just had another birthday. His fifth! It just seems like yesterday, he was still my sweet baby boy and now, he is getting so big and independent. It all happened so fast. Too fast!
This year, he wanted to bring funfetti cupcakes for his birthday celebration at school. Great! So here I am, searching the internet for a homemade recipe that would look good and taste good. It turns out I didn't have to look too far. I found THE recipe from Laurie at Simply Scratch, one of my favorite blogs. Since every recipe I have tried from her is a winner, I didn't even do a trial batch. The funfetti cupcakes, topped with cream cheese frosting, were fantastic and the kids devoured them.
Then, a few days later, came the real birthday party... and another 60 cupcakes to bake. I decided to make a few variations to Laurie's recipe and I am really happy with the results. The cake is even more moist and airy and perfectly balances out the richness of the chocolate ganache frosting.
Makes 24-28 cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
- ¾ cup egg whites (about 6 large egg whites) = 175 ml de blanc d'oeufs
- 1 cup whole milk or buttermilk = 235 ml de lait entier ou ribot
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract = 2 cuillères à café d'extrait de vanille
- 3 cups unbleached cake four, sifted = 350 g de farine à gateaux, tamisée
- 1 ½ cups sugar, sifted = 300 g de sucre, tamisé
- 1 ½ tablespoon baking powder = 1 ½ cuillère à soupe de levure chimique
- Pinch salt = une pincée de sel
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened = 170 g de beurre, ramolli
- ½ cup (about 3 oz.) chocolate sprinkles = 85 g de vermicelles au chocolat
- 1 ¾ cups natural unsweetened cocoa = 200 g de cacao en poudre (type Van Houten)
- 3 ½ cups confectioners' sugar = 450 g de sucre glace
- 1 cup heavy cream = 235 ml de crème liquide
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened = 230 g de beurre, ramolli
- Pinch salt = une pincée de sel
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract = 1 cuillère à café d'extrait de vanille
Preheat oven to 350ºF / 180ºC and place paper liners in cupcake pans.
Whisk together the egg whites, vanilla extract and milk in a medium bowl.
Combine the dry ingredients (sifted cake flour and sugar, baking powder, salt) in a mixing bowl. Use kitchen-aid fitted with the paddle attachment to stir the dry mix with the softened butter. Slowly add the milk and egg mixture, stopping and scraping the sides and bottom of the mixing bowl a few times. Gently fold in the chocolate sprinkles and pour batter into each paper liner, about half way up.
Bake for 17-18 minutes. Remove and let cool completely on a wire rack.
Meanwhile, make the ganache frosting: mix the cocoa and 1 ½ cup confectioners' sugar in a bowl.
Bring cream to a simmer on the stove and whisk into cocoa/sugar mixture. Whisk for a minute until no lump remains. Set aside.
Place butter, salt, and remaining 2 cups confectioners' sugar in a large mixing bowl. Beat until smooth. Add vanilla. With the mixer running on low speed, gradually add cocoa mixture until it's all incorporated. Scrape the bowl, then beat at medium speed for one more minute.
Frost cupcakes with the ganache mixture (use Wilton 1M tip for a nice swirl design). Keep frosted cupcakes in the fridge until about one hour before ready to serve. Enjoy!