Except for a few freezing days, the winter has been pretty mild this year. Yet, I still have been making soup almost weekly. While I never get tired of healthy vegetable soups, I find this creamy chowder brings a nice change to the table.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil = 1 cuillère à soupe d'huile d'olive
- 1 leek (white and light green parts only), rinsed and sliced = 1 poireau, rinsé et coupé en rondelles
- 2 garlic cloves, minced = 2 gousses d'ail, émincées
- ½ teaspoon dried dill = ½ cuillère à café d'aneth séchée
- 4 or 5 baby red potatoes, scrubbed and diced = 4 ou 5 petites pommes de terre rouge, nettoyées et coupées en petits dés
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour = 2 cuillères à soupe de farine
- 2 cups vegetable broth = 475 ml de bouillon de légumes
- 2 tablespoons capers = 2 cuillères à soupe de capres
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice = 1 cuillère à soupe de jus de citron
- 1 ½ cups milk (2 %) = 350 ml de lait écrémé
- ½ cup heavy cream = 120 ml de crème fraiche liquide
- 4 oz. smoked salmon, chopped = 115 g de saumon fumé, coupé en petits morceaux
- Pepper = poivre
- Salt (optional – taste before adding as smoked salmon is already quite salty) = sel (facultatif)
Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add leeks, garlic and dill. Cook for about 5 minutes. Stir in potatoes and flour, cook for a couple of minutes. Add broth, capers and lemon juice. Stir and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until potatoes are tender. Reduce heat to low and slowly add milk and heavy cream while stirring. Let milk/cream get warm, then add smoked salmon. Season with pepper (and salt, if using). Serve immediately. Enjoy!