I am not sure what to call this heavenly dessert. A cake? A cobbler? Well, it's sort of in between, really!
The batter is definitely more like cake than biscuit so instead of topping the fruit with the batter, I like to place the batter in the dish first and let it rise up through the nectarines as it bakes. Peaches or apricots will work well too. Whichever you use, make sure they are ripe and sweet or adjust the sugar accordingly.
Be decadent: top it with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream! It's even yummier!
For the filling:
- 2 lbs. ripe nectarines (about 6), sliced and peeled = 900 g de nectarines, épluchées et tranchées
- 1 to 2 tablespoons sugar = 1 à 2 cuillères à soupe de sucre
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice = 1 cuillère à café de jus de citron
- 4 tablespoons butter, diced = 60 g de beurre, coupé en dés
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour = 160 g de farine
- ½ cup granulated or brown sugar (or 50/50) = 100 g de sucre ou de cassonade (ou 50/50)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder = 2 cuillères à café de levure chimique
- Pinch salt = une pincée de sel
- 1 cup milk = 240 ml de lait
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract = 1 cuillère à café d'extrait de vanille
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar (optional) = 1 cuillère à soupe de sucre turbinado ou rapadura , en magasins bio (facultatif)
Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C.
To prepare filling, combine nectarines, sugar and lemon juice in a medium bowl and set aside.
To make batter, place butter in an 8-inch square baking dish. Place dish in oven 5 minutes, until butter melts. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Combine milk and vanilla extract and add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist. Spoon batter over butter, spreading evenly but without stirring. Top with fruit mixture, gently pressing nectarines into batter.
Bake at 350° for 40 minutes. If you like some crunch on top, sprinkle with turbinado sugar, and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until crust is golden. If not, just bake for a total of 50 minutes.
Let cool for 15-20 minutes, spoon into individual bowls and top with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!