Contrary to its name, apple butter doesn't have any butter in it! Apple spread would be a more appropriate name but apple butter it is! It is smooth and sweet and goes beautifully on top of Greek yogurt (my favorite way to eat it!) and oatmeal, or you can also spread it on buttered toasts or pancakes. Need more ideas, look here for more creative ways to use apple butter.
You can slow cook apple butter on the stove, but I like the hands-free oven method. Just stir once or twice every 30 minutes and let the magic happen: in about 3 to 4 hours, the sauce will reduce and reach a perfectly smooth and thick texture and a beautiful deep amber color. And your kitchen will smell amazing!
Feel free to can the apple butter (following proper safety procedures) as it makes a wonderful homemade holiday gift!
I just hosted my Cooking Club friends for a “Fall Feast” and I chose to pack my apple butter into mini plastic containers as a party favor for my guests. Cute, no?
Makes about 2 ½ cups
- 4 pounds apples, peeled and chopped = 1.8 kg de pommes, épluchées et coupées en morceaux
- 2 cups apple cider = 475 ml de jus de pomme
- 1 cup light brown sugar = 200 g de cassonnade
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt = ½ cuillère à café de sel
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice = 1 cuillère à soupe de jus de citron
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon =1 cuillère à café de cannelle en poudre
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract = 1 cuillère à café d'extrait de vanilla
- Pinch of ground cloves = une pincée de clou de girofle en poudre
Combine the apples, apple cider, brown sugar and salt in a large Dutch. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook for about 20 minutes, until the apples are soft. Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice, cinnamon, vanilla and cloves. Use an immersion blender (or puree in batches in a regular blender) until smooth.
Bake, uncovered, in a 250°F / 130°C oven, stirring every 30 minutes, for 3 to 4 hours, until it's thick and dark. Remove from the oven and let cool completely before transferring to an airtight container. Refrigerate and use within 2 weeks.