When my son was little, he used to call this the “Shrek” soup because of its color. It is quite green indeed. It's also very healthy, and happens to be vegan. I feel like it helps detox my body after all the splurges of the holidays. Plus it's ridiculously cold outside. Like below zero wind chill cold. So all I want right now is soup and tea, a blanket and a good book!
Serves 4-6 (based on a recipe in Good Mood Food by Donal Skehan)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil = 1 cuillère à soupe d'huile d'olive
- 2 leeks, cleaned and chopped = 2 poireaux, nettoyés et coupés en morceaux
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped = 2 branches de céléri, coupés en morceaux
- 1 medium head of broccoli, stalk removed, cut into florets = 1 tête de brocoli, coupée en petits bouquets
- 4 oz. fresh baby spinach = 120 g de jeunes pousses d'épinards
- 2 cups of low-sodium vegetable broth = 475 ml de bouillon de légumes
- 2 cups water = 475 ml d'eau
- Black pepper & sea salt, to taste = sel et poivre
In a large pot, heat up the olive oil and sauté the leeks for about 2 minutes. Add celery, broccoli and spinach. Cook for about 3 minutes, until spinach is wilted. Add broth and water, and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 20-25 minutes. Use immersion blender (or transfer to a regular blender) and process until smooth. Season with additional pepper if you like. Serve right away!