When it comes to comfort food, who doesn't like a good chicken pot pie? Unfortunately, the pre-packaged frozen ones are loaded with fat and sodium. I am not claiming that my version is healthy by any means. But it's definitely healthier. It has just a little chicken but lots of mushrooms and vegetables, which you can customize to your taste (green beans and corn work well too) . Also, the creamy sauce has, well, no cream. Granted there's plenty of butter in the crust but it's so deliciously flaky, it's absolutely worth it. Life is good!
For the filling:
- 3 tablespoons butter = 40 g de beurre
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour = 3 cuillères à soupe de farine
- 1 ¼ cup chicken or vegetable stock = 300 ml de bouillon de poulet ou légumes
- salt & pepper (about ¼ teaspoon each) = sel & poivre
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme = ¼ cuillère à café de thym
- 1 chicken breast, cooked and cubed into small bite-sized pieces = 1 escalope de poulet, cuite et coupée en petits dés
- 6 oz. baby bella mushrooms, diced = 170 g de champignons (de Paris), nettoyés et coupés en morceaux
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced = 2 carrots, épluchées et coupées en morceaux
- 1 celery branch, sliced = 1 branche de céleri, coupée en morceaux
- 1 small onion or shallot, diced = 1 petit oignon ou 1 échalotte, émincée
- ½ cup frozen peas = 70 g de petits pois congelés
For the crust:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour = 120 g de farine
- ½ teaspoon salt = ½ cuillère à café de sel
- 6 tablespoons butter = 80 g de beurre
- 5 tablespoons ice cold water = 75 g d'eau glacée
- 1 pie crust or 1 sheet of puff pastry (thawed) = 1 pâte à tarte ou pâte feuilletée (décongelée)
Make the crust:
Note: Dough can be made ahead and chilled in the fridge. When ready to use, leave to soften at room temperature for at least 10 minutes.
Make the filling:
Melt the butter in a saucepan, and stir in the flour. Stir a few times. Gradually pour in the stock, whisking constantly. Simmer the sauce over medium heat for 5 minutes until it thickens. Season with salt, pepper and thyme.
Stir in the chicken chunks, mushrooms and vegetables. Spoon the filling into a 10” deep pie dish.
Assemble and bake:
Preheat oven to 375°F / 190°C. Roll the crust or puff pastry out slightly larger than the dish. Place it on top of the filling. Cut out the excess dough and use the tines of a fork to press the dough against the edge of the dish. Cut a few vent holes with a sharp knife.
Bake the pie for 50 to 60 minutes, until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly. Remove from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!