These meatballs are pretty simple but the topping (or dipping) sauce is bursting with flavor. The cucumber salad adds a nice fresh element to the whole dish. For a complete meal, add a serving of jasmine rice as well.
For the meatballs:
- 1 lb. ground lean turkey = 450 g de viande de dinde hâchée
- 4 garlic cloves, minced or grated = 4 gousses d'ail, émincées
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce = 3 cuillères à soupe de sauce soja
- 3 tablespoons panko crumbs = 3 cuillères à soupe de chapelure (si possible japonaise)
- Salt & pepper = sel et poivre
- 2 tablespoons canola oil = 2 cuillères à soupe d'huile de colza
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth = 235 ml de bouillon de légumes ou poulet
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger = 1 cuillère à soupe de gingembre frais râpé
- 2 tablespoons ketchup = 2 cuillères à soupe de ketchup
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce = 2 cuillères à soupe de sauce soja
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar = 1 cuillère à soupe de vinaigre de riz
- 1 tablespoon honey = 1 cuillère à soupe de miel
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil = 1 cuillère à soupe d'huile de sésame
- 1 ½ tablespoons cornstarch = 1 ½ cuillère à soupe de maïzena
- 1 large cucumber or 4 small Persian cucumbers, thinly sliced = 1 concombre ou 4 concombres perses ou libanais (mini-concombres), finement tranchés
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar = 2 cuillères à soupe de vinaigre de riz
Preheat oven to 400°.
Start with the cucumber salad: combine cucumber and rice vinegar in a bowl. Stir and place in the fridge.
Then make the sauce: in a small saucepan, combine the broth, ginger, ketchup, soy sauce, rice vinegar, honey and sesame oil. Bring to a simmer over medium heat.In a small bowl, stir the cornstarch with 3 tablespoons of water until thoroughly combined. Add to the sauce and stir well. Cook for about 3 minutes until thickened. Remove from the heat, cover and keep warm.
Finally, work on the meatballs: in a large bowl, combine turkey, garlic, soy sauce, panko crumbs, salt, pepper. Shape into 20 meatballs.Heat canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add meatballs to pan; sauté 4 minutes, turning to brown meatballs on all sides, working in batches if needed. Arrange browned meatballs on a baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 5 minutes.
Top meatballs with sesame-ginger sauce and serve immediately with the cucumber salad on the side. Enjoy!
Note: you will end up with extra sauce, keep it in the fridge. Reheat it and serve with grilled shrimp or chicken.