Snow Day! No school! Yay! We can take it easy in the morning and eat homemade pancakes for breakfast. Then head outside to have a snowball fight and make a snowman. When we get cold and hungry, we rush back in for some warm soup. In the afternoon, there's more outside play (sledding anyone?), and more yummy comfort food like Nutella crepes and hot cocoa while watching a Christmas movie. Truly a perfect day in my book!
This soup is a nice “veganized” version of the classic chicken noodle soup. It's so good, I don't even miss the chicken. I hope you'll give it a try, it's a winter favorite in my house!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil = 1 cuillère à soupe d'huile d'olive
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped = 1 petit oignon, coupé en petits morceaux
- 4 oz. cremini mushrooms, chopped = 110 g de champignons cremini, coupé en morceaux
- 1 clove of garlic, minced = 1 gousse d'ail, émincé
- 4 medium carrots, peeled & chopped = 4 carottes, épluchées et coupées en rondelles ou demi-lune
- 2 celery stalks, sliced = 2 branches de céléri, coupé en morceaux
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme = 1 cuillère à café de thym
- 4 oz (uncooked) egg noodles = 110 g de pates
- 1 15 oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed = 1 boite de 425 g pois chiches, drainés et rincés
- 4 cups vegetable broth = 950 ml de bouillon de légumes
- 2 to 4 cups water = 425 à 950 ml d'eau
- salt & pepper = sel et poivre
Heat olive oil in cast-iron Dutch Oven. Saute chopped onions and mushrooms in olive oil for a few minutes. Add garlic, carrots, celery, thyme, and pepper and saute for another 5 minutes.
Add vegetable broth and 2 cups water and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes.
Add noodles and chickpeas, add more water if you wish, and simmer until noodles are cooked. Season to taste. Enjoy!