I just love quiche! You can make so many combinations and this one is perfect for the summer months when zucchini, bell peppers and eggplants are in season.
The pie crust is easy to make in the food processor. Or simply buy a frozen one. Shortcuts are okay sometimes! If you have a Trader Joe's near you, I highly recommend theirs. And while you're there, grab a bag of Quattro Formaggio. It's a blend of shredded parmesan, asiago, provolone, and fontina cheeses that will give any dish great flavor and texture. Otherwise, use 1/3 cup shredded parmiggiano reggiano or asiago and 1/3 cup shredded mozzarella or fontina.
I brought this quiche, with mixed greens on the side, to a swim team potluck recently. It stood out... and was gone quickly!
Makes one 10” quiche, 6-8 servings
- 1 pie crust (thawed as per instructions) = 1 pâte brisée
- 2 zucchini, diced = 2 courgettes, coupées en petits dés
- 1 orange or red bell pepper, diced = 1 poivron orange ou rouge, coupé en petits dés
- 5 or 6 slices of eggplant = 5 ou 6 rondelles d'aubergine
- Olive oil, in a spray bottle = huile d'olive en spray
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme = ½ cuillère à café de thym séché
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten = 3 oeufs, légèrement battus
- ½ cup heavy cream = 120 ml de crème fleurette
- ⅔ cup shredded cheese = 75 g de fromage râpé (parmesan, gruyère...)
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano = ½ cuillère à café d'origan séché
- salt & pepper = sel et poivre
Place the vegetables on a cookie sheet, lined with parchment paper. Spray with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and thyme. Roast in 425°F oven for 35 minutes, stirring the diced veggies and flipping the eggplant slices after the first 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, roll out the pie dough on a lightly floured surface to about 1/8” thick. Transfer to a pie pan. Prick the base with a fork a few times and set aside.
When veggies are done, remove from oven and turn it down to 375ºF / 190ºC. Let veggies cool slightly.
Beat together the eggs and cream and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the shredded cheese, season with pepper and dried oregano. Add roasted zucchini and bell peppers and pour onto the prepared crust. Top with roasted eggplant slices. Bake for 35 minutes. Remove and serve at room temperature. Enjoy!