My son and I just got back from my hometown of Lyon, a city known as the gastronomy capital of France. Need I say more? Well. Yes. We fully enjoyed all the amazing bread, cheese, charcuterie and pastries there! I'm not sure I want to step on the scale right now... Anyway, after this incredible French feast, I was craving Asian flavors this week. But let's face it, I was jet-lagged and not highly motivated to spend hours in my kitchen. I love how stir-fries come together quickly and are loaded with healthy veggies. You can use whichever you have on hand but I always go for a mix of at least 3 colors: green (green beans, broccoli, snow peas, zucchini), yellow (baby corn, bell pepper, squash), red or orange (bell peppers, carrots), purple (eggplant, “red” cabbage). We seldom eat red meat (and when we do, it is organic, grass-fed beef only) and I have made this stir-fry with shrimp and chicken but it is just not the same. While flank steak is a great (and cheap) option for stir-frying, I prefer the more tender New York strip cut. Serve over jasmine or brown rice, or even rice noodles. Yum!
Makes 4 servings
- ¼ reduced-sodium soy sauce = 60 ml de sauce soja
- 4 teaspoons Mirin (or Japanese rice vinegar) = 4 cuillères à café de Mirin
- 2 tablespoons water = 2 cuillères à soupe d'eau
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil = 2 cuillères à café d'huile de sésame
- 1 teaspoon canola oil = 1 cuillère à café d'huile de colza
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar = 1 cuillère à café de sucre roux
- ½ teaspoon black pepper = ½ cuillère à café de poivre
- 1 lb organic New York strip steak, cut into thin slices = 450 g de boeuf, filet ou faux-filet, coupé en fines tranches
- 3 cloves garlic, minced = 3 gousses d'ail, émincées
- 1 tablespoon finely minced or grated fresh ginger = 1 cuillère à soupe de gingembre frais émincé
- 1 small onion, chopped = 1 petit oignon, coupé en morceaux
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced = 1 poivron jaune, coupé en lamelles
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced = 1 poivron rouge, coupé en lamelles
- 1 orange bell pepper, sliced = 1 poivron orange, coupé en lamelles
- 8 oz. green beans, trimmed and briefly boiled= 225 g de haricots verts,
équeutés et brièvement cuits à l'eau
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch = 2 cuillères à café de maïzena
Combine all the marinade ingredients in a ziplock bag. Add steak slices, stir to coat and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes, or up to 2 hours.
Coat a large skillet with a little canola oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add garlic and ginger and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add steak, reserving the marinade in a separate bowl. Stir-fry meat for about 3 minutes. Transfer to a clean plate.
Return skillet to heat, add onion and bell peppers. Sauté for 4 minutes. Add green beans and continue stir-frying for another 2 minutes or so.
Stir cornstarch into reserved marinate. Add to the skillet and stir to coat the vegetables. Return steak to skillet and stir to combine. Serve immediately. Enjoy!